Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The yellow lady's slipper returns!

Last spring, an executive with Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites gave us a yellow lady's slipper for Wildflower Woods since our slippers disappeared about ten years ago. I researched where to plant it, making sure the amount of light, type of soil and even grade was suitable. And then I prayed. (Gene admitted to praying over some of her transplants also.)

I was afraid to move the leaf cover, but took a peek last week. Nothing. So I covered the spot again with leaves and pretended I didn't look. As I walked away, my steps were as heavy as my heart.

I peeked again today and there it was - emerging foliage! I covered it with leaves as that's its natural condition. But, oh, I can't wait to see it bloom.

1 comment:

Gaia said...

Your wildflower pictures are beautiful! Can't wait to see the lady's slipper in bloom. Much luck ☀